Thursday, September 19, 2019

Stand Firm in your Freedom in Christ

Rules. 
Performance. 

It’s a love-hate relationship for me.

I sometimes love rules because they make it easier for me to judge others (horrifying, I know, right). And they make it easier for me to be hard on myself too (another hobby of mine).

Rules are great because I can measure how I am doing compared to others. Sometimes this means I’m patting myself on the back or at other times criticizing myself. 

This is also why I hate rules.

There’s a lot of “self” thought and attention going on in those paragraphs. Not a good place to be. I find myself back in a cage forgetting who I am in Christ.

The problem is there’s no freedom in this way of life. This is being enslaved to what others think about me (idol of Approval). That’s a performance mindset. If I perform well, others will love me. Trap! 

Jesus died to set us free from such traps and cages. 

“It is for freedom that Christ set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” (Galatians 5:1 NIV)

The good news is that you don’t have to stay in the trap. There’s a way out! Faith in Jesus sets us free!

Lord, set me free from the mindset and lies that entrap me to believe that I’ll be happier or that you will love me more if I perform or follow rules. 


Forgive me for living in the cage again. Help me trust you and walk out of that cage today. In Jesus’ name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join Me on Substack Today!

  I hope you’ll click on over and subscribe today!