Monday, September 7, 2020

“Judge Yourself Wisely” Romans 12:3


“For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.” ‭‭Romans‬ ‭12:3‬ ‭NIV‬‬


It is easy to judge your character and your competency towards one of two extremes—overly harsh or overly able. 

In my case, I swing back and forth and do both. 

Paul warns us against doing this. He calls us to assess ourselves soberly not too positive and not too negative. 

He also calls us to assess ourselves “in accordance with the measure of faith God has distributed to (us).” These are necessary competencies to master. 

We also need to ask other trusted friends and family to help us with this self-assessment. Just remember to keep this tension in mind because others can also run to the extremes. 

I struggle doing this well a lot. I can swing from high to low pretty quickly and let it take me down. 

The remedy? Remember who I am in Christ. Remember to live in light of eternity too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Join Me on Substack Today!

  I hope you’ll click on over and subscribe today!