Friday, May 15, 2020

To Hear is to Obey. Sounds cult-like to me.

I was reading a book the other day by Stephen Lawhead (Endless Knot) where the main character said,

"To hear is to obey."

I love that.

That's the way the Hebrew language reads too. (what the Old Testament is written in) It's a language that is so active when you say listen, it implies you mean listen AND do.

That's powerful.

That means I don't just listen to you and then weigh it out. If you're a person with authority, to tell me is for me to hear and then obey.

The same is true with God. After all, he is my ultimate authority in life.

To hear is to obey.

I gladly submit to God.

Am I a cult member? No. But it may look that way.

Here's why I trust and follow God as my ultimate authority. It boils down to this:

1. God is all-good. He only does what is right and good.
2. God is all-powerful. He created me when I didn't exist.

Why wouldn't I want to follow my Creator when I know he's like this?

Why wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join Me on Substack Today!

  I hope you’ll click on over and subscribe today!